Pages - Menu

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

From Training to Trainer...


I use the term "Trainer" very loosely here... I have logged around 100 miles running so far in my training. (the tracker to the right has not been in use for the whole training process.) I am by no means anywhere remotely close to expert on this, but I will be helping some girls (including my daughter Gracie) train for a 5K for the next several weeks.

We started Tuesday. Our plan said to run 1 mile. That sounded so good to me! I thought about how short the distance seemed compared to the long runs I have been doing, and I was thrilled to think I would be finished in 10-15 mins depending on the girls' speed.

I realized on Tuesday that there are many little secrets of the running trade - lots of things I've picked up over the past few years when I've tried to consistently run for exercise (having a baby sorta threw that plan for a while).

The biggest thing is BREATHING! Why doesn't it come naturally to our bodies to breathe while we run??? At one point, I remember telling Gracie to breathe during her running because I could tell she had been holding her breathe by the way she was gasping when we walked part of our mile. I know she was focusing so much on getting to the finish line that she didn't think about breathing.

Some other important things are GOOD POSTURE - hold your body up with your back! It makes you feel lighter. DON'T STOMP - think about running on eggshells - light feet make running easier. PACE YOURSELF - We are not sprinting! This is a long run, so top speed is not top priority.

I am looking forward to running with the girls again tomorrow. I hope there will be a little less whining from one girl I know very well. I know they will learn so much from this and I hope to see some benefit next year when they're playing basketball again!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment