Pages - Menu

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Rock-a-Bye


This is me at 12 months. Check out that couch, y'all! Nice , huh? I'm sitting in a rocking chair that belonged to my mom when she was little. The seat was made from macrame (is that how you spell it?) Does anyone else know what that is because it's been a while since it was popular...I can't even explain it, but the seat apparently broke and the obvious answer was to do some sort of crocheted looking seat ;) That was me being sarcastic for those of you who don't know me well. I actually liked the macrame, but it didn't hold up well in the attic for 20 years because when Gracie was born it was rotten. So again the seat broke and the new obvious answer was to use ribbon to weave a seat into the chair, right? 


Here's a pic of Gracie sitting in the chair when she was a little over a year old. I know there was a better picture of her in the chair, but I don't have time to go through the 1.2 million pictures there are of this child to find it right now. She was the first baby, and I had nothing to do but take pictures of her doing standard daily things and make cute scrapbook pages with them. 



I don't want anyone to think that Caroline was left out of enjoying this chair because it has been here all along. She got this really nice rocking chair from Nanna and Granddaddy though - they painted it and put her name on it, etc. (Gracie got one too, but that's not the point of this post...) This picture is from Caroline's first birthday party. 

Aren't they just the cutest kids you've ever seen? Every time I look at the pictures of them I just want to turn back time and hold them again! 

The rocking chair was put back into the attic after the girls grew up, but Anna Kate's presence made me think of it again. I pulled it out of the attic a few months back and it was in pretty bad shape - I wish I had a picture to show you a before/after comparison!! One of the rockers had broken, the ribbon had fallen off, on of the back rails was chipped, etc. I decided that a chair that's been around this long should get a new shot at life, so I had a friend remove the 75 layers of paint from years past and put a new wooden seat in it. He was so excited when he saw that the wood was a good quality underneath that he called and asked if he could stain it instead of painting it again. Here's the finished product with Anna Kate enjoying it in a couple of pictures!


 I couldn't decide which one was the least blurry since she wouldn't stop rocking! It looks so great! I know she is going to enjoy it, and hopefully the girls will be able to use it for their children! 
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment