Pages - Menu

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Runnin', Sweatin', Prayin'

Saturday morning I met Jen, Jen, and Sandi for my longest run yet - 9 miles! I was in no way in the mood to get up at 7AM and go run outside, but I did! I forgot to turn on my GPS for the first little bit, but after about 1/4 of a mile I got it going. We ran from one end of the greenway to the other end and back, but that isn't quite 9 miles. We had to turn back around and run just a bit more, and turning around was NOT my idea of fun...Does anyone else hate that hill any more than me? I don't think so!

I had my music going loud and strong - I need more songs though...I had to start my iPod over once to cover the whole distance. It was a beautiful morning for running and there were several other people out - I even ran into a friend from high school who I found out is running the half too! Maybe we can train together sometime!

I took this picture on the way back - I thought it was so pretty the way the sun's rays were shining down. You can see I was a bit behind everyone at this point...I caught up though ;)



About halfway through the run, I started thinking about my spiritual race and how much symbolism there was in my running that morning. I started out behind all of my friends - I was working on my running app and music - distracted and got left behind a bit - that has happened to me a time or two spiritually as well...

Then, I caught up to the girls and even passed Jen for a bit. I couldn't help but worry about her though, so I kept looking back to check on her - when one of my brothers or sisters is struggling spiritually, I find myself worrying about them and sometimes spending extra time praying for them or checking in with them.

A little while later, Jen caught up with me and passed me. She could tell I was struggling a bit, so she encouraged me to run with her for a while. It helped me so much for her to stick with me for a while - spiritual encouragement works like this too!

I didn't run the entire time - There were times I had to slow down a bit and walk - this reminded me of the times in my life when I've been slowed down by trials and I just wasn't at my best.

There were times I really wanted to just sit down in the grass and stop - having the girls with me helped me to continue on just like having spiritual brothers and sisters does.

It was like I had my own little bible study while running down the greenway! This is where the "Prayin'" comes in because I want to finish my spiritual race just like I want to finish this half marathon - even more really!

Hebrews 12:1
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment