Pages - Menu

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Avocado LOVE


In the past few years I have discovered that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE avocados! Trust me, I'm surprised too! I was the girl who NEVER wanted to even see guacamole on my plate at the mexican restaurant.
My relationship with avocados began at a Mexican restaurant chain in our area because they make guacamole fresh at your tableside. I would go there just to eat the guacamole dip with my chips until I learned how to make it at home. Now, I enjoy avocado slices on my turkey sandwich, or just by themselves with a little salt.

Here's my recipe for the dip: (I don't know if it's exactly like the restaurant or not, but we like it around here)

2-3 avocados
1 small vine ripe tomato
1/4 red onion chopped
chopped jalapeno (fresh is best)
lime juice - I use about half the lime, sometimes more
garlic SALT (not powder) to taste
pepper
cilantro

mash it all together and dip 'til your heart's content!

For the longest time, I was so sad to have to throw the leftovers away after making this because it turned a really icky brown color in the fridge overnight - I know it was fine to eat, but it just didn't work for me, okay? I have learned a huge secret to avoid this - keep the avocado pits! When you are ready to put the leftovers (if you have any) in the fridge, just throw the avocado pits in with the dip and voila! it will NOT turn brown!

This makes me happy! It's the small things y'all!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment