Pages - Menu

Friday, January 20, 2012

Having a Baby Sister by Gracie Hall

Gracie had a school assignment over the summer where she had to write a report about an adventure she had during the break. I came across it this week and thought it would be a good thing to have on the blog - just in case I misplace it again...Most kids probably wrote about vacation, but since we had a newborn, there was very little travel involved in those short 8 weeks that the kids get for summer break.

When we talked about the assignment before we had the baby.
Gracie said she would write something about the experience she would have with adding a baby sister to the family. I love the details she added at the end of the story...

HAVING A BABY SISTERBy Gracie Hall
Monday, Grangran and Granddad picked Caroline and me up to spend the night at their house. Our mom was going to the hospital the next day.  We drove to their house and rode the mule forever. I was sad when it got dark outside and we had to stop riding the mule, but I knew I needed to go to bed early because the next day my baby sister was going to be born.
     Tuesday morning we ate McDonald’s for breakfast and met Aunt Heather and Andy on our way to the hospital. We thought we were running late but we got to Baptist Hospital at about 10:30. When I got there, all 7 of my grandparents were in the waiting room and so was my great grandfather. Only four people could go to my mom’s hospital room at once.  The only way you could get to the room was to have a green wristband. As soon as Caroline and I got there, we went to the room. I was thrilled when I found out that the room number was 3119 because my sister and I were born in the exact same room! My mom was in a hospital bed and right beside her was a monitor that showed all of her contractions. She gave Andy, Caroline, and me each a gift. I got an origami book; Andy got a joke book, and Caroline got a drawing book. We had to go back to the waiting room so other people could see my mom. I was sad that I had to go.         When I was in the waiting room I made my mom an origami turtle.  It seemed like we were waiting for an eternity. It was worth it because at 1:35 p.m. Anna Kate Mayhew was born with strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes. She weighed 8 pounds and .6 ounces. Caroline and I were the first ones to see her. We played pick a number to see who would hold her first. I picked 7 and she picked 4. The number was 9 so I got to hold her first. It was fun being the first one to hold her.
I wonder what her story would be like after living with the baby sister for almost 8 months now....

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment