Pages - Menu

Monday, January 2, 2012

Commitment

I'm talking about it! I am in desperate need of making a commitment to exercise.

Last week, I took several of the girls' friends roller skating with some other parents. For the record, I do not roller skate. I roller blade. There is a HUGE difference between the two. When I put on roller skates, it just isn't pretty. My feet try to go in about eight different directions at the same time. There was never a point in my life when I could actually pull it off without two people holding my hands and helping me along. That was ok when I was 8 or younger, but it looks pretty ridiculous as an adult. These facts kept me away from roller skating rinks for several years, but then some wise soul invented roller blades! I love that person because I can roller blade like nobody's business! Okay, well, I can make it around the rink without falling... The point is that my body was sore after this event.


In retrospect, it may have been one of the first times I exerted physical energy since Anna Kate was born in May. Yes, I did have a couple of weeks after her birth when I walked the neighborhood, but there is a huge difference between that and skating.

I'm not really even sure how I got sucked in to this next one though...I have the kids to blame for the skating, but I completely blame my friend Jen for what I did Saturday morning - New Year's Eve! I ran but mostly walked a 5K! At the moment that I agreed to do it, I felt the beginning of committing to exercise again, but today as I type this post all I can feel is pain. My neck hurts, my shoulders hurt, my sides hurt, need I go on? There are very few muscles in my body that haven't been placed in a state of shock by my actions. Jen is usually responsible for it when I do something spontaneous like that, and guess what? I signed up for this race (and I use the term race here very lightly) because Jen and another friend of ours, Jennifer - yes there are two of them - were going and it sounded like fun for a minute.

The bottom line here is that I do need to make a commitment to exercise on a daily basis - or at least every other day - because I like food. I don't want to eat low carb because I like bread and muffins and chocolate chip pancakes. I don't want to eat low fat either! I just need to lose the 5-10 pounds that my eating habits and recent pregnancy (might as well blame it on the pregnancy) have caused.

So, here's my thought. I can blog about my exercise each week and it will give me some accountability. You are all going to be my accountability partners in this! I know it's exciting [insert sarcasm here].

I just ate a chocolate little debbie cake before posting this, so let's get started...

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I love it and you! Lets help each other reach our personal best in 2012. p.s. You did great and you are super cute when you "roller blade"!
    With love,
    BFF

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I took Tara to the skating rink Sunday for her (late) birthday present. I had a blast, although I don't think she shared the joy!! Yes, I am sore, but I had a BLAST. I am planning on going back Sunday and taking Andy. You know that he's already asked for the girls to go!

    I'm working on being fit, too. I know that you're going to train with me for the 1/2 Marathon, right?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - love you too!

    Heather - yes! I am planning to train with you. We need to talk about schedules!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the race and spending time with you... Jen #2

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww! me too Jen #2! I hope you don't mind me jumping in on your time with Jen #1. I need some workout buddies!

    ReplyDelete